Today I am going to be sharing with you a quick and simple DIY garland for St. Patrick’s Day! Now I am not the biggest fan of St. Patrick’s Day, it is just another day for me. But for Rob, it’s like Christmas for him! So I had to do some DIY to decorate the house a little in preparation for the day. In total, this took me less than an hour to do!
For the shamrocks, you will need:
- 12″ x 12″ scrapbook paper
- ruler and scissors or a cutter
- stapler or glue dots (I know I have tape in the picture…I don’t know why I thought tape would work for this but it doesn’t…just to save you some time)
For each shamrock you will need:
- 4-1″x 12″ strip of paper (I also used 1″ x 10″ for the smaller shamrocks)
- 1-1″x 12″ piece of paper for the stem (I ended up cutting the stem in half to make them shorter)
- Fold each piece of paper in half (wrong side to wrong side) and then fold the ends in (right side to right side) to create a heart and secure. Continue with the rest of the strips of paper.
- Optional: curl the stem around a pencil like you were curling ribbon, so that the stem has a slight bend to it
- To assemble: staple two hearts together to make the top. Staple two hearts together upside down with the stem in-between for the bottom. Staple the pairs together to make a shamrock!
For the pom-poms, there are so many tutorials online that explain how to make them so much better than I can . I did wrap the string around three fingers 85 times to make the pom-pom. I do suggest having another set of hands around so when you are tying the knots, so they don’t unravel….just fyi.
To assemble the garland, I taped some fishing line to my mantle (since that is where I am hanging the garland) and tied the pom-poms onto it using the left over yarn. Next using more fishing line, I tied the shamrock to the line and….
Yay all done! Hope you guys enjoyed this quick and easy DIY!